Registered Nurse Peri-Operative (OR)
Posted on: January 9, 2021
Registered Nurse Peri-Operative (OR) Job descriptionTitleRN:
Peri-Operative (OR)Reports to:Director of Nurses (DON)Employee
Name:Main functionThe Registered Nurse provides nursing care to
patients in compliance with, but not limited to, recognized
Standards of Practice and State Practice Act Standards, and
organization protocols, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Supervises and directspatient care in a single operating
room.Duties, Responsibilities, Competencies
- Assess patient and family needs in order to provide quality
care to assigned patients.
- Organizes time, equipment, supplies, and personnel to provide
effective and efficient case management.
- Considers cost containment by using supplies economically and
in effective turnover time.
- Prepares the operating room according to requirements of
patient/procedure to be performed.
- Implements plan of care safely and effectively and provides
safe environment, including, but not limited to:
- positioning patient safely, padding bony prominences and
ensuring respiratory and circulatory protection
- ensuring correct prepping and draping procedures
- conducting "time out" process prior to incision to ensure
correct patient, correct procedures and correct surgical site.
- ensure asepsis during all procedures. Opens and presents
sterile items to sterile field aseptically; ensures supplies are
- accounting for all sponges, needles, sharps, during and after
the procedures and documenting appropriately
- including promoting positive communication with all team
- Anticipates needs of surgical team and assists anesthesia
personnel by supporting patient during administration of
- Maintains current knowledge, certification, and licensure.
Pursues growth and development.
- Functions as a role model for current and new staff.
- Demonstrates a professional manner.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe
his or her responsibilities related to general safety,
center/service safely, and specific job-related hazards.
- Follows the center exposure control plans/blood borne and
- Demonstrates compliance with the adverse incident reporting
- Assumes other duties as assigned.Key Attributes
- RISE - The extent to which an employee demonstrates
participation in the RISE Program
- Respect Caring - Demonstrating an awareness for compassion
toward all stakeholders
- Integrity - Being true to what we say we believe in, doing what
we say we will do and adhering to our commitments
- Stewardship - Responsibility to properly utilize and develop
our people. Property and assets while fostering a safe and secure
- Efficiency - Appropriate identification, selection and
management of all resources to ensure excellent clinical and
- Quality - The extent to which an employee's work is accurate,
thorough and neat.
- Productivity - The extent to which an employee produces a
significant volume of work efficiently in a specified period of
- Job Knowledge - The extent to which an employee possesses the
practical/technical knowledge required on the job as evidenced by
the annual competency assessment
- Reliability - The extent to which an employee can be relied
upon regarding task completion and follow-up.
- Attendance - The extent to which an employee is punctual,
observes prescribed work break/meal periods and has an acceptable
overall attendance record.
- Independence - The extent to which an employee performs work
with little or no supervision.
- Creativity - The extent to which an employee proposes ideas,
finds new and better ways of doing things.
- Initiative - The extent to which an employee seeks out new
assignments and assumes additional duties when necessary.
- Adherence to Policy - The extent to which an employee follows
safety and conduct rules, other regulations and adheres to company
policies. (Compliance, Risk, Safety, Infection Control, Sentinel
Events, Abuse, etc.)
- Interpersonal Relationships - The extent to which an employee
is willing and demonstrates the ability to cooperate, work and
communicate with coworkers, supervisors, subordinates and/or
- Judgment - The extent to which an employee demonstrates proper
judgment and decision-making skills when necessary.Education /
Licensure / Certification RequirementsRequired:
- Must possess a current (state) license as a Registered
- Minimum of two years OR nursing experience.
- BLS and ACLS poss. PALS certifications Preferred:
- Bachelor's degree
- ASC experience
- Specialty certification in related areaPhysical / Mental
requirements1. Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and
interpret general business periodicals, professional journals,
technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write
reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to
effectively present information and respond to questions from
groups of managers, clients, patients, physicians and thegeneral
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts
such as probability and statistics. Ability to apply concepts such
as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical
- Computer Skills: Job requires specialized computer skills. Must
be adept at using MS word, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling
software. (Add computerized EMR if applicable)
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data,
establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Special Requirements: Must be able to work variable hours and
be flexible to meet the needs of the center's daily surgery
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds.
The employee is required to lift patients, assist a patient that is
falling, and carry heavy medical equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust
focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or
feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is
frequently required to stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is
frequently required to attend to patients and escort them to and
from patient care areas, often being leaned on for support. Upper
body strength, for lifting orhelping patients out of bed and bath,
is also a must.Working conditions (environmental)The work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or
airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical
shock and vibration.Medical facilities need to be as clean as
possible, and excellent hygiene is required to keep patients clean
and safe from sickness and infection.Has Category 1 risk of
exposure to infectious diseases, but receives training in hand
washing practices and Universal Precautions and has access to
personal protective equipment if direct exposure is anticipated. Is
subject to interruptions, noise, and odors daily.The noise level in
the work environment is usually moderate.Machines / Equipment
usedAll operating room instrumentation, video equipment, power
equipment, laser and smoke evacuators, microscopes, OR beds,
sterilization equipment, clinical equipment used for patient care,
including, but not limited to suction equipment, stretchers,
blanket and fluid warmers. Office equipment, i.e. computers,
printers, copy machines, telephones, public address system, and fax
machine.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesThis position has leadereship
responsibilities for the surgical team during surgical cases.
Keywords: MedHQ, Newark , Registered Nurse Peri-Operative (OR), Healthcare , Newark, Delaware
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!