Research Associate - Process Engineering
Company: Air Liquide
Posted on: May 3, 2021
World leader in gases, technologies and services for Industry
and Health, Air Liquide is present in 80 countries with
approximately 66,000 employees and serves more than 3,6 million
customers and patients. Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen have been at
the core of the company's activities since its creation in 1902.
Air Liquide's ambition is to be the leader in its industry,
delivering long-term performance and acting responsibly.
Entity and activity description
Air Liquide R&D centers, hosting a wide range of
competencies, support the Group in achieving the highest level of
excellence in the technologies it provides to its customers. The
Delaware Research and Technology Center (DRTC) in Newark, DE
provides innovation and technical support to Air Liquide's
businesses and markets in the Americas and worldwide.
Our Delaware Innovation Campus, inaugurated in 2007, leads
research and technology initiatives in 8 scientific and engineering
disciplines. With researchers from 21 different countries, the
Center had the distinction of being named to the 2015 Philly Top
Workplaces by the Philadelphia Inquirer and philly.com and cited in
2016 by the Delaware Business Times as one of "13 Cool Companies in
Delaware." In 2017 we celebrated our 10th anniversary in Delaware
and over 3,600 days without a recordable accident! In 2018 we
celebrated 10 years of accident-free operations.
This position will be based in the Process Engineering &
Combustion (PE&C) group of Air Liquide's Innovation Campus
Delaware (ICD), directly reporting to the group manager. The
PE&C group is focused on developing advanced energy transition
and clean combustion solutions. Some example processes include
hydrogen technologies, carbon capture, membrane processes,
renewable energy integration, biogas upgrading, natural gas
treatment. The PE&C team is also developing technologies in
oxy-fuel combustion, high-pressure combustion, industrial waste
heat recovery and applications in computational fluid dynamics. The
team operates membrane test benches and combustion test platforms
at both ICD and partner sites.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a safety role model; promote a high level of safety
awareness; adhere to and support continuous improvement in safety
- Conduct risk management process for design, setup and operation
of new experiments and revisions of existing ones in the area of
- Complete required training certifications/qualifications for
safe operation in lab space
- Contribute technically to and develop R&D projects in
hydrogen technologies, gas separations technologies and process
engineering in support of Air Liquide's business.
- Develop, design, and operate experiments (bench scale through
pilot scale) to support the evaluation and characterization of
processes for targeted applications.
- Define and execute experiments to meet R&D deliverables in
a timely manner.
- Conduct process modeling simulations of chemical process
- Provide technical leadership
- Support the development of intellectual property for the
- Prepare presentation material for internal and external
meetings and conferences
- Document results and progress regularly in shared reports and
- Work closely with internal market groups, industry partners and
customers in a collaborative environment
Qualifications & Competencies
- M.S./Ph.D. in Chemical, Mechanical Engineering or related
- Experience in hydrogen technologies, chemical processes, gas
separation systems, membranes
- Technical background in the areas of unit operations,
cryogenics, heat exchangers compressors/expanders, heat and mass
transfer, process modeling, design and optimization
- Ability to influence peers through scientific leadership
- Experience working on interdisciplinary topics and with strong
ability to interact efficiently in an international
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrate
the ability to innovate and generate intellectual property within
area of expertise.
- Self-starter; able to work independently and make difficult
- Results driven; determined and able to deliver despite
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to frequently changing
- Experience with electrolyzers, hydrogen safety, renewable
energy grid integration
- Hands on / industrial experience in hydrogen technologies
- Travel to customer / pilot testing sites to support
commissioning and operation of pilot skids
- Total travel estimated to be 10-20%
- Physical capacity to lift up to 30 lbs
This position is identified as "safety-sensitive" and is subject
to random drug testing in accordance with the current Drug and
Alcohol Policy and/or state law.
Keywords: Air Liquide, Newark , Research Associate - Process Engineering, Other , Newark, Delaware
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!